Well it took to week 11 but we are finally coming up to one of the biggest matchups of the year, Prescott vs Wentz. These two men will be interlinked for a long time (barring any set backs). We will take a look at the matchup followed by the tale of the tape for these two men.
Keys for Philadelphia
- Establish the Run Game: With newly acquired Jay Ajayi, the Eagles have added power to their running back core. Yes Blount is still there but he for some reason looked like he has just been worn down. Jay brings young and fresh legs to help anchor the running game. If Sean Lee misses the game, expect a heavy dose of these two.
- Let Wentz Work: If there is one man who can destroy the Cowboys chances of a win this Sunday night it’s Wentz. He’s on fire this season and for the sake of Cowboys fans, they hope he cooled down with the bye week. If Carson Wentz attacks, then the Cowboys defense will be on it’s heals all night. Not only do they have weapons, but they have ample weapons to attack from all angles.
- Blitz the Cowboys Offense: We saw last week what happens to the Cowboys offensive line without Tyron Smith. Not only were they in trouble, but they showed a glaring weakness at left tackle. Without Smith this Sunday night expect more of the same. Also, without Elliott back at tailback, they will have to figure out how to use Morris and McFadden effectively.
Keys for Dallas
- Protect Prescott: This seems like something simple, but we all saw what happened against Atlanta last week. Not only was that a horrible performance, the Cowboys looked completely out of sync from losing 1 lineman. Dallas will have to protect Prescott against what I feel will be pressure all night.
- Establish the Run: If the Cowboys can establish a running game early, this could alleviate some pressure on Dak. Also, by keeping the defense honest, it will allow Linehan and Garrett a more open playbook. But if Dallas has to go through the air early and become one dimensional, expect a long night.
- Force Three and Outs: If Sean Lee plays then Dallas has a good chance to get the Eagles off of the field. If Lee doesn’t play, well then we are in for a horrible defensive performance. It is crazy how one man can make so much of a difference for the Cowboys. General Lee will really need to play or at least find someone who knows what he knows..
Now, below is a head to head comparison of both teams in total yardage. The Eagles offense has soared all year, and they will continue to attack throughout the air Sunday night. They also have a strong running defense that could stifle the Cowboys run game.
The Eagles are also giving up less total yardage which shows how tough they are to play against. You can also tell that teams cannot run the ball on the because they have them down early making them one dimensional. Dallas though is a strong team to face, and they also are a very poised bunch. Don’t expect them to rollover. Be prepared for a team who was punched in the mouth, and will attack with some fight.
*The players on this injury report could still play Sunday night.
- Ronald Derby
- Zach Ertz
- Jaylen Watkins
- Finally, there hasn’t been excitement around two young players like this in a long time. The Wentz vs Prescott rivalry seems to mirror an early Elway vs Marino matchup. Both those men went on to have decorated careers, and even though you are a fan of one versus the other you hope the same for Carson and Dak. Last year was a great year for Dak. Not only did he lead the Cowboys to an amazing 13-3 record, but he ran his offense with poise and maturity. Carson Wentz on the other hand started out well but went through growing pains that are normal for rookies. In year two, neither have faced a sophomore slump, but Wentz is playing at a higher level. With more weapons at his disposal, Carson is playing amazingly. Dak on the other hand has struggled to match last year’s win/loss success, but his numbers are far from mediocre. Check out the statistics below comparing both quarterbacks up to this point.Prescott not only has thrown less interceptions, but he has a higher QBR. Prescott on the other hand has more touchdowns, wins, and less losses, and a better QB rating. Both men are very close though from looking at these numbers. We expect a heck of a matchup between two growing stars in the league.Prediction: Without Elliott and with some key injuries, Dallas loses this one 37-24